Skip to main content

70’s Saturday Girl. 

MICHELLE SINNOTT·
SATURDAY, 11 MARCH 2017

Part 1

 I had a Saturday Job from the Age of Fourteen and that wasn’t unusual. It paid for my Horse Riding lessons and a few other things a Teenage Girl needs. My first job was in ‘Jacks’, a independent precursor of Poundland’. It had a very particular smell, like a Hardware store, mixed with Fag Smoke, Incense, Talcum and Mothballs. My job was to replenish and guard these mostly Plastic and Spelter items and assist any customers when needed. it was like working in a Corridor the way they crammed the place full of stuff. With nowhere to rest, it killed the Feet and Back.You got a Mug of Tea on duty, in the morning and afternoon, ½ hour Dinner Break and £1:25 for a Day’s Work. I looked for a new job every lunch time until I got one in ‘Martins’ the Newsagent. To begin with, I worked as one of the Saturday ‘Penny Sweet’ Dispensers. You needed patience for that one. Some girls just couldn’t stand the routine boredom interspersed with flurries of indecisive little kids, wanting to maximise on their 5p. The Till has a handwritten note stuck to it saying: “God helps those who help themselves, but God help those who we catch helping themselves.” I thought it was hilarious at the time, until an assistant got the Sack for taking ONE penny sweet! So the staff turnover was frequent. I was paid the local going rate of £1:50 for an eight hour day, with the standard hour break for Lunch plus two fifteen minute Tea Breaks. The Cigarette Servers had to be over sixteen and got paid slightly more at £2:00. The Ice Cream Seller got the most at £2:25. No one lasted long in that job, not even me. Maintaining and serving Walls Whippy Ice cream all day, was sticky and unrelenting in hot weather. Traipsing up and down a long Staircase several times a day, to the Manager’s Office, for more Liquid Ice cream, then again for Water to clean the thing at the end of a hot Summer’s day, that always felt like a slog. I looked for something else. It was easier to get Saturday Jobs at the beginning of the Summer. Mainly because those who had left School, went into ‘Full Time’ employment and so stopped working on Saturdays. Woolworths paid the same rate for their Saturday Girls, as I had got for being sticky all day, plus it had a Staff Canteen and Woman Manager. She had a ‘Purple Rinse’ I liked working in their Electrical Department, selling Lampshades, Plugs and ‘Contact’ by the Yard. It was fun using the Lift to the Stockroom, to refill the Shelves. Being a bit catholic and naive, I just got on with it, until this older Saturday girl, took me on a tour around the Stockroom and showed me how to nick things. I was both shocked and impressed! I used Harmony Hair Colour at the time. It came in distinctive triangular Box. I never paid for another packet while Jackie worked there. That was the extent of my pilfering. I’m not sure what happened to Jackie. I think, she was on more of an earner than me. Security started tightening up. The ‘Tea Breaks’ were more monitored for a while . My association with Jackie, had me under suspicion. But with only my ‘Auburn lights’ to give me away, I escaped their detection. Jackie left soon after. My Auburn Highlights faded. I’m not sure how long I worked there but I left Woolworths at the end of School for Batas Shoe Store, because they couldn’t offer me Summer Holiday employment. I lied to get the Bata Job. They were recruiting Managers, I said I wanted to be one. I was actually going onto Sixth Form in September, but needs must..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mermaid by Xanthe Demiurge.

                           First Instalment of a chilling tale..  CHAPTER 1 'OSLO' People who Sail, like solitude. Some find in the unrelenting Horizon, a tranquility impossible to obtain on Land. Rose was one of those. She and her Sister, grew up Sailing with their Parents and like a lot of Mariners, Rose, was looking forward to the 'O4' Regatta. The O4 or ‘Four Oceans’ Competition, happened every five years and was the largest Prize in the Nautical World. The completion time was open. The Record was held by the Crew of “The Spinnaker’. They took five months, two Days and eleven hours. Entry for the Race was strict. Vessels required to be AIS* & GPS, have at least one Main Sail, be a minimum of 80 foot in length, as well as a qualified Engineer amongst the minimum Crew of Five. Fuel is restricted, as Engines are only for use in an emergency. Many Sailors and Boat Owners enter, hoping their latest equipment will assure them a place. However, a well

Trading in Soul..

Yuletide Greetings 'Deer' 2013 I've had a Busy week of relocating my Printer etc and Printing orders. I've also taken a few Seasonal Photos and uploaded the best to Photocrowd .  'Bauble' 2014 Photography takes a lot of time if you are a 'Gifted Amateur' as I am.  Although I've taken thousands of Photographs, including Studio Shoots, I haven't narrowed my interest sufficiently to master any particular genre of Photography. Instead like a Student, I am developing my understanding of how to slow myself down enough to capture the best picture. The evening  Photography Class  with Rick Cordell,  has taught me how to be more technical in my approach to the Subject. It has expanded my understanding of the world of Photographers, more than anything I've studied using the Internet. Online Tutorials have their place in my development too.YouTube has been the best at providing an education in Editing & Printing and the odd P
Tax Returns I've been too busy with my Tax return to finish any unnecessary work for the past two months. I lost my Mojo in the various mundane tasks that seemed to dominate January, barely picking up a Pen or using my Camera. I managed a few Photos while at the Canal, but need to organise a few Projects before I can get going again. One Project I'm starting next week was inspired by these  Brutalist Tower Blocks  As I live close to Balfron Tower. The other Photographic Project involves views along Canals around St Katharine Docks. I'm also about Half way through designing a Colouring Book and a large Art project to Decorate a Few Walls in my home, all will be revealed in the fullness of time..In the meanwhile onwards & upwards..